Hiking in South Chania
Tips and Information
Hiking Samaria Gorge and Agia Irini Gorge is a fun and relaxing way to experience nature with friends and family. Walking in South Chania, you will discover places in nature that roads cannot reach. So leave your worries about time, work, and other stressors behind you and wake up to your amazement. There’s nothing like being out in nature to reconnect with a friend or loved one.
If you’ve never hiked, you might be intimidated by the idea. You may be worried you’re not in the right shape for hiking. Perhaps you think you may need help finding your way back. Rest assured – everyone can hike here. There are many hiking trails in Sougia of varying difficulty. Hiking is not a race to the finish line. Instead, it’s a gentle exercise designed to enjoy good company and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature.
Tips for Hiking
- Plan and be prepared: Research the terrain and weather in your hiking area. Bring the right gear, food, and water to stay safe and comfortable.
- Stay on the trail: this way, you will avoid getting lost and damaging delicate vegetation. These trails are easier to follow and are less likely to lead you astray.
- Tell someone where you are going: Tell a friend or family member which way you plan to go and when you expect to return.
- Limited cell phone signal: Be aware that there are few or no phone signals at some low points along the trail. Not panic. Just stay on the path. Follow the marks or other people, and soon you will get a mobile signal to contact us.
- Take a break: Get plenty of rest and drink water to stay hydrated.
- Watch out for wild animals: Be aware of your surroundings and respect animals you may encounter.
- Bring a map and compass: Even if you know the area, a map, and compass can help you find your way if you get lost.
- Bring a first aid kit: Preparing for possible accidents or injuries is important.
- Wear suitable clothing: Be sure to wear comfortable shoes with good grip, as the trail can be slippery in places. As temperatures in the canyon can vary, protect yourself from the sun by wearing layers and bringing a hat and sunscreen.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks: There are not enough facilities along the trails. So it is important to bring enough water and snacks to stay hydrated and energized during the trek.
- Start early: It is best to hike early in the morning to avoid heat and crowds. Samaria Gorge opens at 7 am, and we recommend starting at 9 am.
- Hire a guide: Unless you’re an experienced hiker, hiring a guide is best. A guide can help you navigate the trails and provide information about the canyon’s flora, fauna, and history.
- Take your time: Samaria Gorge and Agia Irini Gorge are stunning natural attractions. It would help if you took your time to enjoy the scenery and tranquility of the area. Take time to finish the hike, take a break and enjoy the beautiful view.
- Respect for the environment: It is important to respect the environment and not disturb flora and fauna. Take all your trash and leave nothing behind.
Hiking has many health benefits, including helping with weight management and reducing stress. Physical activity also reduces the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. So when you’re ready to start hiking, you’re making an excellent choice for your overall health. Plus, getting started is easier than you think. You can have a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable hike with some planning.
Book your taxi or tour to South Chania now and discover all these beauties.